Hey there! Welcome to my What-To-Have-For-Dinner Guide.
If this is your first time here, I recommend you start by reading this. If you’d rather not or you’ve been here before, let’s get cooking:
Here is this week’s grocery list and prep list, and you can print the recipes out for easy access while you’re cooking. Of course things don’t have to be prepped ahead of time, but I’ve found if I spend a couple of hours on Sunday doing food prep it makes cooking during the week much faster.
- 2# chicken breast, cut into 1" pieces
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 celery stalks, diced
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 can stewed tomatoes (28 oz)
- 3 tbsp Cajun seasoning
- 24 oz andouille or smoked pork sausage, fully cooked and cut into ½" coins
- 3 cups frozen okra (the kind sliced into circles)
- salt + pepper to taste
- extra virgin olive oil
- Cut up chicken and marinate with olive oil and 2 tbsp of cajun seasoning - let sit at least 30 minutes - you can do this ahead of time and leave it in the fridge overnight
- Put all ingredients (including remaining tbsp of Cajun seasoning) except for sausage and okra into slow cooker and stir until well-combined. Cook for 3 hours on high. Turn heat down to low, add sausage and okra, and cook for one more hour.
- Serve with rice, quinoa, or crusty bread.
If you have a lot of spices you can make your own Cajun seasoning; I use this recipe.
If you have a small slow cooker cut the recipe in half
If you don't have a slow cooker: saute marinated chicken, onion, and celery in large stock pot (in olive oil) until chicken is cooked through
Add the rest of the ingredients, including extra tbsp of seasoning, except for okra and sausage
Bring to a boil and then lower heat to a simmer for 45 minutes. Add sausage and okra and simmer for 20 more minutes.
- 1# fusilli or penne pasta
- 2 cups whole milk ricotta cheese
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese (either freshly grated or the shaved/shredded good stuff - not from a non-refrigerated can)
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp chopped garlic
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- juice and zest of one lemon
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2.5 cups (packed) rotisserie chicken, taken off the bone and chopped into small pieces
- 2 cups (packed) fresh spinach, shredded
- Fill a large stock pot halfway with water and turn heat on medium high
- While waiting for water to boil - mix well in a large pyrex or metal bowl - ricotta, parmesan, olive oil, garlic, garlic powder, lemon juice and zest, and salt and pepper
- When water boils, add a generous pinch of salt to water and cook pasta according to package instructions
- minutes before the cooking time ends, place bowl over pasta pot and slowly stir ricotta mixture. It will start to loosen as it warms.
- Drain pasta, and mix in ricotta mixture and spinach. Top with rotisserie chicken and additional cheese if desired.
- 1# ground turkey
- 1 tbsp worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp olive oil + more for pan
- 1 tbsp chopped garlic or garlic powder
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- salt + pepper
- 1 medium avocado, peeled and sliced
- 4 slices bacon, cooked to desired crispiness
- Optional: additional toppings - sauces, lettuce, onion, cheese
- In a large bowl thoroughly mix turkey, worcestershire sauce, olive oil, garlic, and onion powder. Form into four even sized patties.
- Heat a large skillet with olive oil and add patties to pan, cooking for about 5-6 minutes per side. They should be golden brown on the outside with no pink on the inside and register 165 on a meat thermometer.*
- If you are adding cheese, put it on for the last 2 minutes of cooking and cover pan with a lid.
- Top with a quarter of an avocado, a slice of bacon, and other desired toppings.
- Serve with oven baked potato wedges - there's a recipe for that below! <-- if you want to make these, put them in the oven first while you're prepping the burgers so they have time to cook
- 4 large baking potatoes, cut into wedges <--click for a video on how to do that!
- generous drizzle of extra virgin olive oil
- salt + pepper
- optional: 2 tbsp chopped garlic or garlic powder
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Toss potatoes with olive oil, salt, pepper, and garlic (if using).
- Spread in one even layer on foil-lined baking sheet and bake for 1 hour, stirring and turning once in the middle of cooking
- Let cool and enjoy!
Bonus Tip: Roasted Veggies
I do this weekly! Take 2# of your favorite veggies – broccoli, peppers, zucchini, etc – cut them up. Then toss them with olive oil, salt + pepper, and roast at 350 for 30 minutes. Then eat at whatever meal you want as a side – this’ll help you get those veggie servings in hassle-free!